Wednesday, December 08, 2004

WORTH READING 8 Dec 2004

True Understanding


There can be no true understanding without the spirit of humility.

It is only when you grow humble that you can truly understand. The word,
?understand?, says:- ?stand under?. No one is prepared, today to stand under
anyone. Everybody wants to stand over everybody. That is the main cause of
misunderstandings. That is why the man of humility will never misunderstand
others. He will never give himself airs. He will never show that he is
superior to others.

The conversation of so many of us is full of the pronoun, ?I?. I did this, I
did that. I gave this, I gave that. I achieved this, I achieved that. The
man of humility will rarely use the pronoun ?I?. His conversation is full of
the pronouns, ?we? and ?you?.

Mary Anderson, the contralto, often used ?we? and ?one? instead of the
personal ?I?. When they asked her what was the reason, she answered:- ?One
realizes, the longer one lives, that there is no particular thing one can do
alone. With the execution of the work we do, there are many people involved...
so the ?I? in it is very small, after all.?

A mother of twins related a conversation she heard between the children.

One twin said to another:- ?Remember, I am the I, you are only you!?

The other immediately said:- ?I am the I, you are only you!?

Louder, said the first one:- ?Did I not tell you, I am the I, and you are
only you??

So it went on, until they got so excited that they began to fight each
other.

How often do we not, in our daily life, behave like the twins? It is I, I,
I, all the time. The ego keeps on playing its game, singing its tune. The
ego is the cause of misunderstandings ? and so much of our suffering.

Oscar Hammerstein, the famous actor and producer, had an advertisement
inserted in the Christmas issue of Variety, where actors and producers
display their successes. In his advertisement, Oscar Hammerstein did not
refer to his achievements. He merely listed five of his failures, stating at
the bottom in big, bold letters:- ?I did it before, and I can do it again.?

All the great ones of humanity have been men and women of humility. One day,
they asked St.Francis of Assisi:- ?Tell us, why is it that the whole world
is running after you. You are not handsome. You are not learned. You are not
wealthy. You do not hold a high position.?

The saint, in utter humility, answered:- ?There is nothing in me. It is all
due to the grace of God.?

And they asked him:- ?Why is it that of all persons God chose you, on whom
to pour His grace??

The saint answered:- ?God set out in quest of the most wretched man on earth
on whom to pour His grace so that He could demonstrate what His grace could
do. He could not find a man more wretched than I!?

------------------------------------------------------------------
YOUR WORTH READING, IS JUST A BLOG AWAY @
http://readingtimefolks.blogspot.com/
SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE FOR THIS MAILING LIST @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/WorthReading

ALSO PLAYING AT A MAILING LIST NEAR YOU ::

QUOTATION OF THE DAY
--------------------
They inspire, they motivate and at times they tickle your funny bone. But they
never miss to touch your heart. Your daily supply of chosen gems from the world
of literature, ancient proverbs, poetry and sayings from great leaders.

Join the Quote A Day mailing list @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/QuotationOfTheDay
Or simply Blog it @
http://quotationoftheday.blogspot.com/

JOKE OF THE DAY
----------------
As wise men say, a joke a day keeps the doctor away. So step into the health
zone by sharing a hearty laugh. A variety of jokes that are ludicrous and
trivial, witty and wacky, spontaneous and sportive. Wishing you a laugh riot.

Join the Joke of the Day mailing list @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/JokeOfTheDay
Or simply go Blogging @
http://joketimefolks.blogspot.com/

18++
----
Indulge your dirty mind with some outright hilarious adult jokes. They could be
expletive or subtle but they are definitely rated - XXX. Statutory Warning -
18++ may be injurious if your mommy sees it, subscribe at your own risk.

Join the 18++ mailing list @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/18PlusPlus
Or simply go Blogging @
http://18plusplus.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home