Tuesday, March 21, 2006

WORTH READING 22 Mar 2006

The Park Bench

The park bench was deserted as I sat down to read Beneath the long,
straggly
branches of an old willow tree. Disillusioned by life with good reason
to
frown, For the world was intent on dragging me down.

And if that weren't enough to ruin my day, A young boy out of breath
approached me, all tired from play. He stood right before me with his
head
tilted down And said with great excitement, "Look what I found!"

In his hand was a flower, and what a pitiful sight, With its petals all
worn
- not enough rain, or too little light. Wanting him to take his dead
flower
and go off to play, I faked a small smile and then shifted away.

But instead of retreating he sat next to my side And placed the flower
to
his nose And declared with overacted surprise, "It sure smells pretty
and
it's beautiful, too. That's why I picked it; here, it's for you." The
weed
before me was dying or dead. Not vibrant of colors: orange, yellow or
red.

But I knew I must take it, or he might never leave. So I reached for the
flower, and replied, "Just what I need." But instead of him placing the
flower in my hand, He held it mid-air without reason or plan.

It was then that I noticed for the very first time That weed-toting boy
could not see: he was blind.

I heard my voice quiver; tears shone in the sun As I thanked him for
picking
the very best one. You're welcome," he smiled, and then ran off to play,
Unaware of the impact he'd had on my day.

I sat there and wondered how he managed to see A self-pitying person
beneath
an old willow tree. How did he know of my self-indulged plight? Perhaps
from
his heart, he'd been blessed with true sight.

Through the eyes of a blind child, at last I could see The problem was
not
with the world; the problem was me. And for all of those times I myself
had
been blind, I vowed to see the beauty in life, And appreciate every
second
that's mine.

And then I held that wilted flower up to my nose And breathed in the
fragrance of a beautiful rose And smiled as I watched that young boy,
Another weed in his hand, About to change the life of an unsuspecting
old
man.

------------------------------------------------------------------
YOUR WORTH READING, IS JUST A BLOG AWAY @
http://readingtimefolks.blogspot.com/
SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE FOR THIS MAILING LIST @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/WorthReading

ALSO PLAYING AT A MAILING LIST NEAR YOU ::

QUOTATION OF THE DAY
--------------------
They inspire, they motivate and at times they tickle your funny bone.
But they never miss to touch your heart. Your daily supply of chosen
gems from the world of literature, ancient proverbs, poetry and sayings
from great leaders.

Join the Quote A Day mailing list @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/QuotationOfTheDay
Or simply Blog it @
http://quotationoftheday.blogspot.com/

JOKE OF THE DAY
----------------
As wise men say, a joke a day keeps the doctor away. So step into the
health zone by sharing a hearty laugh. A variety of jokes that are
ludicrous and trivial, witty and wacky, spontaneous and sportive.
Wishing you a laugh riot.

Join the Joke of the Day mailing list @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/JokeOfTheDay
Or simply go Blogging @
http://joketimefolks.blogspot.com/

18++
----
Indulge your dirty mind with some outright hilarious adult jokes. They
could be expletive or subtle but they are definitely rated - XXX.
Statutory Warning - 18++ may be injurious if your mommy sees it,
subscribe at your own risk.

Join the 18++ mailing list @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/18PlusPlus
Or simply go Blogging @
http://18plusplus.blogspot.com/

********************** Legal Disclaimer ****************************
"This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank you."
**********************************************************************

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home